Monday, November 3, 2008

Seeking Faces

My wife and I wanted to start this blog as a way of recording and making available our questions and thoughts on the state of religion and politics in our culture. Over the last few years things that once seemed carved in stone now do not seem so sure, but the questions I found myself asking were things I could not just walk away from. I need an answer.

I finally decided on the name for this blog after re-reading C.S. Lewis’ book “Till we have faces.” In the story the main character bring charges against “the gods” (C.S. Lewis was building an analogy from ancient Greek mythology). At the end of the story she realizes that her hidden motivations obsession with logic and lack of prospective had helped her to interpret events wrongly. It is a beautiful book and the end of the book left me crying on my couch at 3 in the morning.

In my quest for answers I don’t want to rashly assume I have them or that the first places logic takes me are automatically right. Firstly because my logic can often be flawed, and secondly because truth can often be a complicated balance. I am not talking about the laws of nature and morality. I am talking about society and human interaction which is infinitely complicated.

For a basic foundation I am a Christian. I believe that the existence of “a God” is without question. I also believe that blind alliance to single groups or political parties is short sighted. What is working today might become broken and need to be fixed/reformed down the road. Complacent acceptance is dangers if we have stopped thinking and asking our self the question. “Is this really right?” If our questions bring us to hard places we have to decide how far outside or comfort zone we will go to enact change.

2 comments:

camtim42 said...

Wow! This looks like an amazing blog. I got goosebumps as soon as I saw the title. “Till we have faces” was on of the most influential books I have ever read. It was a real turning point for me spiritually.

Rebekah said...

Oh, me too. I love it so much. I had to read it in college for a class, and I immediately made Jesse read it. It's been a favorite of both of ours since.